Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Confirmation




"Lola get in here now!"
Lola, a petite girl with wide brown eyes and a shy demeanor comes running to her living room. Her mother is holding a book in one hand and a large wad of cash in the other.
"Explain." she said.
Lola clears her throat. She is getting hot and sweaty.
"It is mine."
"Yours?"
"Yes. I've been saving for over a year."
Her mother looks at her with wide eyes.
"How dare you keep money to yourself. All of those nights that Bahri, Lale, and Nadide went without food-and you had money! This is not like you to be so selfish."
"I'm not trying to be selfish...I want to go to America."
"America? For what?"
"A job..."
"Lola you have a job! You don't need to go."
Mother cups Lola's face in her hands.
"You are so beautiful. There are many Turkish men willing to marry you. You won't have to work this hard all of your life, just until you find a good man to take care of you."
" I don't want to be a seamstress until I get married. I don't even know if I want to get married."

Her mother looks distraught. Mother nods her head in confirmation.

"I always knew this day would come," said Mother "you my daughter are different. I saw it when you were born. The moment I held you, I was afraid that you were already going away from me, and I didn't know why."
"Mother, it's not that I want to leave you-"
"No, it is okay. You are a woman. You are shy, yes, but there is something in you that holds an eternal strength. Something I never had."

Mother lets a few tears fall from her eyes. Lola hugs her mother in comfort.
"Please don't cry. I don't mean to hurt you."
"I know you don't mean to, but that doesn't stop it from tearing my heart apart. I've always wanted all of my children close to me."
"I'm not leaving forever. I love you. I will always be here if you need me."

Mother is silent for a moment.

"Is what you want for your life, so different from mine? Is Turkey really not enough for you?"

Lola contemplates the question, then she slowly nods her head "yes."


No comments:

Post a Comment