Sunday, September 29, 2013

Bad Hair Day



I believe that the general population of the world has been taught some form of the philosophy, "things happen," and at some point you just have to get over it. But when bad things happen, I feel like I am the only one that has some king of magnetic attraction to crappy circumstances. For example, last summer I worked at Universal Studios Hollywood on the only roller coaster in the park: Revenge of the Mummy. Sounds like a dream job right? Well it would be for someone who has a sick love for all things creepy, terrifying, fast and jarring, but alas it was not.
On one broiling hot summer day,  I had to work outside for three hours because three employees had gone home for various reasons, and we were short handed. And I was especially lucky because on this day, I was working outside in the locker area all by myself when two locker machines went down, and sixty people couldn't get their things out of their individual lockers. It was a joy being called "incompetent" and having people scream at me for vouchers because I was wasting their time, trying to fix the lockers. Good times.
When I finally got my break an hour late, I was just grateful to have a few moments to myself. But like all things unfortunate, my break was cut short because I had to help take a little boy to the nurse after he decided it was a great idea to jump over the line ropes, and he busted his knee open on the ground. But hey, it could have been worse. It wasn't nearly as bad as the day I had to clean up red slushee and chicken chunks off of a roller coaster seat.
Needless to say, after my shift (plus two hours) had been completed all I wanted to do was get home. As usual, I went back to wardrobe, turned in my uniform, put on my clothes, and headed to the metro. In order to give myself a little peace, I turned on my ipod as I squeezed through the people on the metro, and found a nice seat to myself by the window. It's funny how a person can zone out so quickly when looking out of a window, that is until you suddenly look up and see a girl screaming to her mom that her hair ponytail is caught in the metro doors. Oh yes.
Somehow this girl got on to the metro with her back against the window and got her long brown ponytail caught in the automatic doors. Though I was a little horrified and confused, I was grateful that for the first time all day, it wasn't me that was caught in a spectacle. Although I believed she was shocked initially, I also think that she went a bit overboard crying and "hyperventilating" after a good six minutes of recognizing what happened. Even though her hair got caught in the doors on the way in the metro, it was all still in tact as she walked out, so after all the drama she lived, and I eventually got to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment